viernes, 4 de abril de 2014

Anticlimatic Wonderings


Today was such a beautiful day in Houston, and I can't get over it. It was just perfect weather, and it made me really thankful and warm and fuzzy inside. I decided to go to Hermann Park, and took this picture, which is not very representative of how breathtaking and beautiful the park was today. But that's not really the point of this post, haha.

The thing is that it was all so moving. I saw so many people walking around, and it felt like humanity at its best. Couples hand in hand, a young man walking hand-in-hand with who I assume was his elderly father, kids running around, people just sitting and taking it all in... I'm telling you, it was amazing.

But it got me thinking... (and just writing this made me sigh right now). How can a loving, merciful God, who made all this beauty, send people to hell?!?! I wish with all of my heart for the simple faith of my teen years, where all of these questions could so easily be trusted in God's hands. I just can't conform to any of the answers that I hear.

I think I thought of this randomly while looking at people today, because this whole week I've interacted with other Christians, and heard them talk about 'evangelizing' and 'sharing the Gospel' and 'believers', and all this 'us versus them' mentality, and I... really don't know how to approach life like that again. I'm sorry, genuinely, but I can't. Does that mean I am not a Christian? If I don't actively draw those lines?

What I want most out of life is to be faithful, to God, to my values, to the people in my life... But how do I fit the theology I grew up in with all of these questions. Is there space for me at the table?

That's all I've got right now. Any insight will be appreciated :)

1 comentario:

  1. I've felt like that many times... Honestly, I don't want to worry about those things too much, because I don't want any thoughts that might let my eyes off Jesus. In my case, if I think too much on these questions, I go crazy... I think I have to believe that God is almighty but also that He is the one and only that knows the future, the end, the destiny of each person. I have to trust that He does not lie and that He will do whatever is fair and just at the time. I cannot tell you I still have no doubts on this or other things... But I think that is also part of our journey with the Lord. Doubt, learn, etc. You said your priority is to be faithful to Him. Well, do just that. He will work with your heart and your questions... Maybe at this time your perfect way to "evangelize" people is just living a Christian life. Let them see His love thru you. I was "mindblowned" (if that word exists) by this: "Preach the gospel. Use words if necessary." Attributed to St. Francis of Assisi. Take care!

    ResponderEliminar